Fun facts on ferrets
- The word “ferret” is from the Latin fur, meaning “little thief.” Indeed, one of the ferret’s favorite activities is stealing and hiding things.
- Ferrets belong to the weasel (Mustelidae) family. Besides weasels and ferrets, this group of animals also includes minks, otters, and badgers as well as polecats and sables.
- An endangered species of ferrets previously thought to extinct, the black-footed ferret, was recently rediscovered in America.
- Like cats, pet ferrets use litter boxes to go to the bathroom, though they are not quite as easily trained as cats.
- It is illegal to own a ferret in California, Hawaii, New York City, and Washington D.C. as well as in some communities in other states.